The last 6 months have been busy but fun getting ready to end my undergraduate career. In late January the film festival started and went for 10 days - so much fun! It was hard going with so little sleep several nights in a row, but I had a great time and got to see some new places in downtown SB that I'd never been to before (and probably never would go because I wouldn't be able to afford it alone haha).
The highlights though were definitely the nights that I got to see Kate Winslet and Clint Eastwood at the main theatre in downtown. The festival gives out its own awards every year, and the award recipients each come on a different night to receive their award and also give an interview on stage. I had to work the other nights, but I got to see Kate and Clint, who really surprised me.
I never really liked Kate Winslet. She just always rubbed me the wrong way, but that night she won me over. She really did look as perfect as she does in pictures - doesn't need an ounce of photo-shopping - and she was so down to Earth. She talked about how one of the most important things to her is making sure her kids are OK with the lifestyle that comes with fame, and also letting her children know often that she is truly grateful for everything she has earned and accomplished. There was one point too where they showed a clip of her movies in between questions, and after showing the love scene from Titanic, they turned the lights back on and everyone looked to see what her reaction would be (since it's kind of an awkward moment to watch) and she was cracking up! The interviewer asked her what was funny and she said, gasping between giggles, "We look like children! It's just so funny!" She was cute. And there seriously was not one thing she said that was weird or inappropriate. I'm her new biggest fan (personally I mean - professionally I don't get some of her super-serious roles).

Clint was fun to see, too. Since it was on a weekend and I didn't have to work the event, Kevin was able to come and we had a blast. I used my staff pass to get us in early and grab a seat close to the stage that was reserved for sponsors who ended up not coming. I'm ashamed to say I'm not sure I've even seen a Clint Eastwood movie from start to finish, but I knew the stereotypical character he always plays - a tough guy. He was so cool though in his interview. Also down to Earth, as though he doesn't even notice he's that famous, and he has a great sense of humor.
Look how close we were!
But besides all that celebrity fancy-ness I really just had a great time with all the interns - there was about 30 of us so there was always someone around to talk to, walk with, or eat at Chipotle with (our staff passes got us free Chipotle for the duration of the festival - delicious!)
No comments:
Post a Comment