I had to take 3 flights to get here starting early Saturday morning: SF to Chicago, Chicago to Manchester, and Manchester to London. I did the first 2 legs with Kevin's family who are staying with relatives in Manchester and then the last little flight by myself. It was nice to have Kevin and Chelsea to keep me company, although by the end of the day I was so tired and emotional I was getting upset over the stupidest things and just ready to be done with planes. I finally got to London Heathrow yesterday and after some confusion finally found Chloe and Erika. We took a few different trains to get pretty close to our hotel, and then walked the last few blocks.... hauling all of our luggage! I guess on Sundays trains are limited, and once we realized we were just too close to spend money on a cab. (However we decided we'd plan our transportation better next time all of our belongings were involved haha)
We checked into our hotel around 3:30, and then around 4:00 took a cab to Harrod's - the most ginormous department store I've ever seen! One million square feet of crazy expensive shopping, medium expensive shopping, clothes for men women children babies pets, handbags of every designer brand, fine jewelry, furniture, housewares, a few restaurants, and then like 5 grocery style food departments ranging from cheeses to frozen raw meats to freshly baked pastries and handmade fancy chocolates to hot food. After walking around for a little while we stopped at the hot food section and had really good rotisserie, and then bought a few fancy chocolates to take home. We walked around a little more, got separated from Erika, and after looking for her for 25 minutes we finally found a pay phone and found her and headed back to the hotel. Of course at this point it was only like 7:00 but we just couldn't take the exhaustion anymore! I don't know about Chloe and Erika, but I hadn't slept for a period longer than 2 hours since Thursday night!
We tried our best to stay awake, but Erika, Chloe and I were all eventually out between 8:00 and 9:15ish. To our unpleasant surprise we didn't sleep as long as we thought we would based on our exhaustion. Erika and I were awake around 4:45 this morning, she reading and me trying to kind of sleep despite being starving and too hot. It's now about 7:15 and Chloe is still in bed - lucky! As soon as she gets up we're going to find some breakfast somewhere outside the hotel (so we don't have to spend a small fortune) and then start our 2nd day!
I was too tired to care much about pictures last night, but I did get a few of the hotel:
The giant rotating front door
View up the stairs into the bar
Hotel restaurant
The view looking down from our floor.. the center of the hotel is like hollow so you can see down from each floor and from inside the clear glass elevators.
Chloe has some cool ones of all the awesome food at Harrod's, which I'm sure she'll upload to her blog in the next day or so, and hopefully we'll both have a much bigger collection by the end of today!
No comments:
Post a Comment